I am happy to announce the release of Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John, the first in a twelve-story series I am calling The Character of the Song. The idea is to take characters from popular songs and breathe life into them, to tell their story from my perspective. The characters are inspired by the songs featuring them. They are based on those characters. The stories are mine, told the way I imagine them.
The stories and their songs
The characters, their stories, and the songs that inspired them are as follows:
- Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John – inspired by the song of the same name. written by members of Belle and Sebastian and recorded by Norah Jones and Belle and Sebastian
- My Confession by Jesus Lefty Boehm – inspired by Pancho and Lefty, recorded by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, written by Townes Van Zandt
- Bobby McGee and Me – inspired by Me and Bobby McGee, written and recorded by Kris Kristofferson. Also famously performed by Janis Joplin
- Clayton Delaney – inspired by I Remember the Year that Clayton Delaney Died, written and recorded by Tom T. Hall
- Mona Lisa and Mad Hatter – inspired by the song Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, written and recorded by Elton John, co-written by Bernie Taupin
- Old Hats and Halos – inspired by I Thought That He Walked on Water, written by Allen Shamblin, and recorded by Randy Travis
- Tilly Ray and the Rainbow Cafe – inspired by Here Comes That Rainbow Again, written and performed by Kris Kristofferson
- Tiny Castle – inspired by Van Gogh by Pony Bradshaw
- Fast Hand – inspired by Fast Hand, written and recorded by Cody Jinx
- Hey, Jude! – inspired by Hey Jude, written by Paul McCartney and recorded by The Beatles.
- The Preacher’s Been Drinkin’ Again – inspired by Bottles and Bible, written and recorded by Tyler Childers
- Whores at Christmas – inspired by Fancy, written by Bobbie Gentry, and recorded by Reba McEntire.
Where there’s a plan…
The plan is to release one story per month beginning with Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John, which was just released in December 2023. The final story will be released in November 2024, and the entire collection will be published as a book titled Character of the Song: a Dozen Lyrical Short Stories, which will be released in time for Christmas 2024.
I am stoked about this project and proud of the first “single” from the “album.” Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John is a story about the lost and found – the human rubble, the rabble, and their humanity. Meet unforgettable characters and join them on their journey to the heart of a uniquely American experience. Live on the hard edge of life without leaving your easy chair. Secure your copy today! Also Available on Apple Books, Barnes&Noble, and Amazon Kindle.